Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just the Good 'Ole Boys, Never Meanin No Harm

My work can be incredibly rewarding. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saving babies and puppies from burning buildings, or anything like that, but every now and then, I realize that what I do makes someone’s life just a little better.

But most days, my job makes me want to rip my hair out. There’s nothing more frustrating that working on a project for months, putting your credibility on the line, collaborating and bringing groups together to formulate policies that are in the best interest of the entire community, only to be told near the end of the process that you can’t go forward because some greedy developer (who doesn’t even live in our community) might not be able to make enough money off of his project this way.

In the most recent election, less than 13% of registered voters bothered to vote. Maybe you didn’t vote because the choices were Dumb or Dumber. Maybe you didn’t vote because you think local elections don’t matter. Well, they do. I guess most people either don’t pay attention to local matters until they have a problem that affects them on a personal level or else they are happy with the status quo.

When will our community learn that the old way of doing things will lead to our downfall? We can’t be so afraid of change that we unwittingly rob ourselves of what made us great in the first place. When will our elected leadership (AND our electorate) learn that you can’t always do what’s best for your cronies/uncle/golfing buddy?

The old boy network is alive and well.

No comments: